When Cara posted this recipe, I knew that we just had to try it! It combines Matt's love of anything beef, and my love of cornbread, and throw in a few extras, and you've got a complete meal in one simply heavenly dish! (I'm all for one-dish meals - anything to lessen the amount of dishes to clean!) I added some of our faves - corn, black beans, and white kidney beans - but this is one of those meals that you can add whatever your family will eat. Speaking of whatever your family will eat, our little picky toddler will not eat this meal because he does not like when foods are all mixed together. So unfortunately, I have to make him a separate meal. But, I make the sacrifice so that I can enjoy this delicious Tex-Mex cuisine!
1 box Jiffy
ingredients needed for the jiffy cornbread
1 lb. ground beef
mix-ins, drained (I did corn, black beans, white kidney beans)
Mexican blended shredded cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Prepare jiffy cornbread mix as directed.
3. Brown ground beef, drain. Add in taco seasoning and about 2/3 – 3/4 cup water. Heat on med-high for about 5 minutes or until the water is absorbed.
4. If you're using lots of mix-ins, you need a larger dish than an 8x8. You can either layer your ingredients or mix all together. I layered, but then realized that I needed a larger dish so they ended up being mixed. It did not affect the flavor.
5. Top with the cheese.
6. Spread the cornbread mixture on top (this is probably the "hardest" part, so I usually pour the cornbread mixture in sections and then spread with a spoon or soft spatula).
7. Bake for about 15-25 minutes - until cornbread is nice and golden. We probably could have pulled this out of the oven a little bit sooner than we did. Enjoy!! I also serve this with a side of Spanish rice.