Monday, April 29, 2013

Toddler Muffins

These muffins are called "toddler muffins" but don't let that fool you, these are for all ages.  I seriously can't get over how delicious these are with not much fat and sugar!  It does have a little of both, but definitely MUCH better than most and I figure the good stuff in it cancels out the bad.  I have 1 very picky eater out of 3 kids, and he absolutely devours these muffins.  He thinks they're a treat.  And I feel better because at least he's getting some veggies when he eats one of these (or several) muffins.  He's also funny about seeing stuff in his muffins so these are perfect because everything blends together. Try them and let me know what you and your kids think!  And, let me know if you substitute or add anything.


Ingredients
1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
4 oz applesauce (I just used one of those snack size containers)
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 ripe bananas
1 (4.5 oz) jar squash baby food (or sweet potatoes)
1 jar carrot baby food (or shredded carrots)
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oat bran (I will either pulse oats to make an oat type flour, or use 1/2 cup of ground flax)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

1.  Preheat oven to 375.  Grease (I sprayed with PAM) 24 mini muffins, or line with muffin liners (I find this bakes best with the mini muffins).  This recipe usually makes about 30 mini muffins.
2.  Cream together butter and sugar in a mixing bowl.
3.  Combine, in a separate bowl, the applesauce, mashed bananas, baby foods, eggs.  Add to the mixing bowl with the butter/sugar and beat until blended.
4. Add each of the dry ingredients, beating just a bit after each addition until well blended
5.  Spoon into the muffin tin.
6.  Bake for about 10-15 minutes, until an inserted knife comes out clean

**I store mine in the fridge and just heat up briefly in the microwave.  You can also freeze these and heat up longer in the microwave when you want to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment