Buttermilk Baked Chicken
1/4 cup butter
4 chicken breasts (it calls for bone-in, but I used boneless)
1 1/2 cups buttermilk, divided
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 can cream of mushroom soup
sliced baby portobello mushrooms (I used about half of a mushroom package but would have used the whole thing if I weren't the only one eating mushrooms)
fresh, chopped thyme (I used dry thyme seasoning)
seasoning for chicken (salt, pepper, Tony Sacheres)
1. Preheat oven to 425. Melt butter in the oven in a lightly greased 13x9 dish. (about 3 minutes)
2. Meanwhile, dip chicken in 1/2 cup buttermilk, sprinkle with seasonings, and dredge in flour.
3. Remove dish from oven and add mushrooms and thyme. Arrange chicken (breast sides down - I guess if you're doing the bone-in - for boneless, I don't think it matters) in baking dish.
4. Bake at 425 for 25 minutes. Turn chicken and bake for 10 minutes.
5. Stir together soup and remaining 1 cup buttermilk. Pour over chicken and bake for 10 more minutes - put some foil lightly on top to prevent the chicken from browning too much.
6. Transfer chicken to a serving platter. Whisk soup mixture in baking dish until blended. Drizzle over chicken, or if you have certain family members who are not as into sauces as you are, leave in the dish so that you can spoon your own sauce onto your meat.